Thursday 26 November 2009

Call me rash...!

but I've taken the leap (financially) and am back on the Cambridge Diet. What a bloomin' relief! Food is a blinking minefield for me (clearly something I'm going to have to tackle very soon). Low carbing suits me best - it's satisfying and makes me feel better - more energy, less digestive problems - but it aggravates my gallbladder. I could get my gallbladder taken out, of course - they wanted me to get down from my then-21 stone to 18 before they'd operate a few years ago. Now I'm 15 stone (yes, that's my weigh-in today), they'd whip it out at the drop of a hat!

When I eat any kind of grains, they make me very hungry very soon - some say it's a degree of insulin resistance and a purely physiological reaction to blood sugar rising too high and subsequently dipping - and I want to eat all the more. Even complex carbohydrates - wholemeal bread, brown rice, porridge - make me feel this way. The low-carb lobby says it's the result of a messed up metabolism after years of "carb-addiction".

On top of that (or is it alongside it?!), I know I'm an emotional eater. I eat more when I'm hungry, when I'm happy - any excuse! - and, worst of all for someone with ME, when I'm tired - my thinking around food goes very awry and I don't make good decisions then...

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I will need professional help with my food choices in the long term.

Today's weigh-in has me at 15 stone, unfortunately. I'm hoping I can get a stone off before Christmas, IF my finances allow me to continue on the Cambridge Diet...

4 comments:

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

Gall bladder pains are terrible. I resisted gall bladder surgery for years, but I finally had it removed. There may be ways to survive with gall bladder problems, but I'm sure glad I had mine removed. For a while after the surgery, I often had to rush to the bathroom, but that eventually got better, and it sure is nice to be pain-free.

Low-carb and high-fat is how I eat now, but that probably would have been impossible with gallstones.

Best wishes to you.

Ali the Artist said...

Thanks Jim. I'm interested - and encouraged - to hear that you cope with high fat without your gallbladder. I've yet to meet anyone who's had any long-term post-op problems. I'm seriously mulling it over - if that isn't a contradiction in terms!

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

I'm a strong believer in evolution, and I believe that almost every part of our body serves an important evolutionary purpose, including parts I have had removed, like tonsils and gall bladder.

However, I'm not aware of any problems that I've experienced by doing without them.

If you can figure out any way to keep your gall bladder without suffering, go for it.

I read a blog recently that claimed that fat is not the problem, and that gall bladders can be saved with a high-fat diet.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep the link, because it's too late to matter for me.

Best wishes.

Ali the Artist said...

That sounds verrry interesting. If you ever get an idea of what the link was (I've tried Googling but haven't found anything yet), do please let me know.