Saturday 8 August 2009

Diet Chef goodies

My Diet Chef goodies arrived this morning. 3 small but heavy boxes full! I thought, for fun(? well - someone might be interested!), I'd list what I've ordered and got to look forward to for the coming 5 weeks. There are 35 main meals, 35 soups, 35 breakfasts and 35 snacks. I won't list the numbers, just the varieties.

Main Meals
Beef in Black Porter
Beef Meatballs
Bolognese with Italian Herbs
Chicken Casserole
Chicken Chasseur (which is actually missing and I hope will arrive next week)
Chicken Curry
Chicken Fricasse
Chickpea Tagine
Chilli con Carne
Coq au Vin
Lamb Hotpot
Mushroom Stroganoff
Mutton Stew
Pasta Bolognese
Pork Meatballs
Pork Sausage Casserole
Thai Chicken Curry
Three Bean Chilli

Lunches
(shakes are an option here but as they are simply milk shakes and not high protein like LL, I decided against them)
Chicken and Thyme Soup
Chunky Vegetable Soup
Goat Cheese & Red Pepper Soup
Minestrone Soup
Mushroom Soup
Parsnip & Honey Soup
Pea & Ham Soup
Spicy Beef & Tomato Soup
Tomato with Pesto Soup

Here is a selection of them in my cupboards. There are so many, I've got two boxes full stashed away. All the soups and main meals have come in sachets, which can be heated in the microwave or in a pot on the stove.

Breakfasts
Original Granola
Chocolate Granola
Pink Apple and Cinnamon Granola
Treacle and Pecan Granola
Original Porridge
Cocoa Nib Porridge
Strawberry Porridge
Vanilla and Banana Porridge

Snacks
Cheese Oat Bakes
Berry Low GI Biscuits
Fruit Low GI Biscuits
Ginger Low GI Biscuits
Apple Bar
Banana Bar
Berry Bar
Cocoa Bar

Here's a photo of them, they look a bit more exciting than the main meals and soups!

I bet you're thinking what I'm thinking - that I could buy these myself and save some money. Yes, I agree (obviously, if it's what I'm thinking!) BUT I can't buy more than 35 of any of the 4 categories (main meals, lunches, breakfasts and snacks) and I would still have to pay for the full whack anyway. The availability of these products in my local Co-op is also doubtful(!) and another consideration is that this is all portion controlled and I'm afraid that's still important for me.

For example, I just had the Chocolate Granola for breakfast and, while delicious(!), it's a tiny amount and has left me still hungry. I've had an apple to tide me over but apples also tend to make me feel hungry, which I believe is a sign is an insulin resistance thing, which is why low-carbing suits me so well. There's no protein in this type of breakfast (apart from the litte in the milk) so I'm a bit doubtful of it working for me... The porridge should be a bit more filling, I hope (though I'm not at all sure about the flavoured ones - a new experience for me!). I might try some of the milk shakes next month and see if they're a bit more filling (though I doubt it somehow)...

My Low GI Rice didn't arrive with this order - obviously an oversight and now they'll take til next Thursday to arrive, at the earliest.

I got up so late today that, even though I've just had my breakfast, I can now have my lunch, so I'm off to choose from one of the yummy sounding soups!

No comments: